“Sense of community is a feeling that members have of belonging, a feeling that members matter to one another and to the group, and a shared faith that members’ needs will be met through their commitment to be together.” (DW McMillan, 1976)
The Girls adhere to a code of conduct throughout their lives (and their cycles!)
We certainly don’t require you follow the code, but we believe in our code and creating something for you that makes things feel bigger than yourself. (and not in that way where you are bloated on your period and you feel physically bigger than yourself, but that you feel connected to a community of those trying to uphold the same values!)
- We are unafraid of talking about our periods, and trying new things that push us.
- We share our knowledge with others in kind ways, and share tips and tricks to managing our cycles and our lives! We know an experience once shared might have the ability to help someone else.
- We empathize. We work to understand that our journey is different than another person’s, and that their experiences have validity even if they don’t mimic our own.
- We build each other and ourselves up. We speak kind words. We protect the vulnerability that people bravely entrust with us.
- We come together. We support each other through loss, and genuinely celebrate success!
- We are kind to ourselves. We recognize that we make mistakes, but we are trying our best and we should celebrate our small victories everyday.