5 Ways to Help Alleviate Period Cramp Pain
*Disclaimer* Period cramps are different for everyone and I am not saying these things will work for you. These are just some of the things I have tried that helped.
- Drink Water – Ok, so we all know we are SUPPOSED to drink water but it’s easier said than done. Staying hydrated on your period is even more important because it helps to combat bloating. Bloating can make the symptoms worse on top of making you feel like a balloon. I like to add a little lemon to my water to make it more delicious.
Heat – Heat is an age-old trick to help with cramp pain but there’s a reason it’s been around so long – it works! The heat helps to relax the muscles in the abdomen that are contracting when you experience cramp pain. Here are a few ways you can use heat:
- Hot Water Bottle
- Heated Rice Pad – I’m not sure where to buy these but it seems like everyone’s mom or grandma has one. Just heat it up in the microwave and put it on your uterus!
- The Band by The Girls Company – This is a band worn underneath clothing made of a spandex-like material with pockets where thin heat packs are inserted. You can take it on the go and wear it under clothing and nobody can tell!
- Electric heating pad – These plug into the wall and heat up, it’s kind of like a mini heated blanket. You can find lots of them on Amazon.
- Medication – I am sure most of us have taken medication for our periods at one point or another and for some people it helps and others it doesn’t. I prefer ibuprofen and I have found that the key for me is to take it as soon as you get your period or feel the slightest tinge of a cramp coming.
- Exercise – Many people say exercise is supposed to help cramp pain but every time I have tried it, it made it worse. They worse cramp pain I have experienced is when I go on a run while on my period. However, I have found that some gentle yoga can help.
- Dark Chocolate – Dark chocolate has magnesium which helps with bloating. In fact, peanut butter also has magnesium, so some dark chocolate peanut butter cups are the perfect indulgence that satisfies a craving and helps with cramp pain. Justin’s are my favorite dark chocolate peanut butter cups.
I apologize if this is the same information you can find on every blog about cramp pain and isn’t anything new but that just goes to show that we need to keep working and innovating to create a solution that really helps!
Photo by Polina Zimmerman from Pexels